DeRoberts Law Firm

Focused On Protecting Your Family And Your Future

Frequently Asked Child Support Questions

Child support cases can be confusing and time-consuming. Lead attorney Jeffrey DeRoberts understands that each client has specific needs, and is dedicated to helping your family overcome any and all challenges. Child support needs vary from family to family. Below you will find answers to common questions our clients have asked, with the hopes that it will help you understand what to expect as your case moves through the legal system.

Who is entitled to receive child support?

Any person acting as a caregiver for a child under the age of 21 may apply for child support. This includes both parents and nonparents such as grandparents. In most cases, the custodial parent or guardian receives support payments from the noncustodial parent.

How long will I be required to pay child support?

Under New York state law, child support continues until the child reaches the age of 21. If the child becomes emancipated or financially self-supporting, gets married, or enters the military prior to 21, you may be able to petition the court for termination of a support obligation.

What does child support cover?

Child support provides financial stability for a child in the form of cash payments, health insurance, child care, day-to-day living expenses and reasonable health care costs that are not covered by insurance.

How is child support calculated?

The Child Support Standards Act and its income guidelines govern how courts calculate appropriate child support payments. The court follows a standard system that requires a specific percentage of parental income to be set aside for child support. The court may deviate from the standard guidelines in certain circumstances and the court considers numerous factors in calculating payments.

What can I do if my ex stops making child support payments?

The New York Child Support Enforcement (CSE) program was established to help parents with a variety of child support issues, including establishing paternity, obtaining court orders for child support, collecting and distributing support payments, and enforcing support orders. If your ex-spouse has stopped making timely payments or is paying less than the court-ordered amount, you should contact an experienced child support attorney to ensure that your case is handled efficiently.

Get Support And Secure Your Child’s Future Today

If you need help establishing or enforcing a child support order look no further, the DeRoberts Law Firm is here to help. We will provide the emotional support and legal knowledge you need to secure your child’s well-being.

Our office is conveniently located in Syracuse, and we serve clients throughout all of central New York state. Call 315-479-6445 or contact us online for a free initial consultation.