Full Range Of Defense Against Weapons Charges
Weapon charges in New York carry mandatory minimum prison sentences. Having a loaded handgun in public is punishable by up to 15 years in prison. Even if a weapon is not used while committing a crime, the possession of a loaded gun can throw you behind bars for a few years — or even more than a decade.
A Weapon Charge Is Not A Minor Matter
Attorney Jeffrey DeRoberts of DeRoberts Law Firm has been a criminal defense attorney since 1993. During that time, he has been a familiar face in state and federal courtrooms throughout central New York. As with other crimes, we will leave no stone unturned as we examine every shred of evidence, the arrest or search and seizure and witness testimony.
Please keep in mind that weapons violations can include:
- Hunting rifle
- Knife, Leatherman or switchblade
- Camping ax
- Stun gun
- Bomb or bomb-making materials
- Throwing star
Call us right away for an initial consultation, day or night at 315-479-6445.
New York Gun Violation Defense Lawyer
Some individuals are surprised to find that they may have violated a gun law. At our law firm, we will pay particular attention to the arrest or search and seizure procedures, including:
- If a gun was in your car, did you know it was there?
- If you knew it was there, did you know it was loaded?
- Is it reasonable to assume that someone else placed it in its location?
- Did the police have a reasonable cause to search your car, purse or backpack?
- Was the weapon used in the commission of a rape or any other crime?
- Is the gun registered to you?
- Does the possession of a weapon violate the terms of your parole or probation?
The answer to each of the questions above will mean a different type of criminal defense. We also base a robust criminal defense on the facts of a case, as well as on a strategic analysis of the prosecution’s case.
Depending on the circumstances, your charges can range from a class “C” violent felony charge, with a potential sentence of 15 years, to a class “A” misdemeanor for possession of a dangerous weapon, such as a throwing star. Any charges you face will also depend upon your criminal history or record.
Syracuse Weapons Charges Defense Attorney – Misdemeanors Or Felonies
If you are looking for an attorney to protect your rights, look no further. Call 315-479-6445, or send an email for a free initial consultation.